Computer technology has changed the scenario of communications. Apart from several advantages, it has some serious disadvantages affecting physical health and especially eyes. Nowadays, more people using computers complain of various symptoms togetherly known as CVS = Computer Vision Syndrome.
- Burning of eyes
- Feeling of foreign body sensation
- Decrease in tolerance to contact lens
- Hazy or double vision
More usage of computers produces eye-strain resulting in such symptoms. Concentrating and thereby decrease in frequency of blinking of the eyes produces dry eyes.
NORMAL TEARS PHYSIOLOGY
To understand the physiology of normal
tears in short, let us know about three
layers forming tear film.
Oily Layer :- decreases the
evaporation of tears.
Water layer :- protects the eyes from
foreign particles or irritants
Mucus layer – Uniformly spreads
watery layer and adheres to the
Just above and to the outer side of
each eye lacrimal gland is situated
which produces tear film. When one
blinks, the eyelid spreads the tears
and keeps it moist. Increasing age,
vitamin A deficiency and some
medicines like antiallergic drugs,
beta blockers, Diuretics,
preservative in drops and contact
lens at times also increases dry eyes
and its symptoms. Schirmer’s test is
useful in detecting the extent of
- Decrease constant usage of computers, TV, Mobile.
- Wash your eyes frequently.
- Proper refractive error correction.
- Decrease constant usage of contact lens.
- Proper lighting of room, reflection from the monitor, distance and position of the computer/ TV should be taken car off.
- Adequate nutrients necessary for the eyes especially Vitamin A should be taken.
- Goggles/ helmets are must to protect the eyes especially in dry, hot and polluted atmosphere.
- Use of lubricating drops as per advice of eye doctor.